Sunday, January 23, 2011

Response to Inquiry with Kamala D. Harris, Attorney General, California

Kamala D. Harris, Attorney General, CA
Recently I contacted the Public Inquiry Unit for the Office of the Attorney General for the state of California regarding questions about foreclosures on properties by WAMU and JPMorgan Chase, NA.  I posed a question as to the current status for foreclosures in California online:

On January 15, 2011 Melissa Weikel, Public Inquiry Unit, responded for Kamala D. Harris, our new Attorney General.

Ms. Weikel writes:

"As you may already know the Attorney General has joined a 50-state, industry-wide investigation into the manner in which lenders and loan services conduct foreclosures.  We will review the information you have provided as part of our investigation and unless you have requested confidentiality, we may share your letter with your lender or loan servicer."


"Additionally, the Attorney General has called on lenders and loan servicers to halt foreclosures during the investigation.  However, some lenders and loan services are still conducting foreclosures.  Therefore if your loan is in the foreclosure process, please do not assume that your foreclosure is on hold.  Unless you have been specifically advised otherwise in writing by your lender or loan servicer, you should assume that the foreclosure process is continuing for your loan.

"Please be advised our office cannot represent individual citizens in legal matters, and cannot give individuals legal advice.  If you need legal assistance, we suggest that you consult a private attorney.  You may obtain a referral to a certified lawyer referral service by contacting the State Bar at 866-442-2529 (toll free in California) or 415-538-2250 (from outside California) or via their website at:

"If you cannot afford a private attorney, you may wish to contact your local legal aid office.  For a referral please go to and click on Find Legal Assistance Tab.

"Because your complaint is against a financial institution that is regulated or supervised by the following government agency, we suggest you also file a complaint at the following address and/or website:

Office of the Comptroller of the Currency
Customer Assistance Group
1301 McKinney Street, Suite 3450
Houston, TX 77010-9050
Telephone: 1-800-613-6743

As an aside, I personally filed numerous complaints against JPMC and WAMU with the OCC with nothing resolved.  The OCC sends consumer complaints directly to JPMC which then has a JPMC employee self-investigate the consumer's complaint.  I am not saying to not complain to the OCC.  Quite the contrary if you send the OCC a complaint, sent a photocopy and over letter also to Senator Diane Feinstein and Senator Barbara Boxer, along with your California member of the House of Representatives.  We have to fight fire with fire and make sure that everyone possible has an awareness of the challenges we have and are facing.

Readers, if you have not already filed a complaint with the Attorney General's Office, let me encourage you to do so.  The most efficient way is through the internet at the following AG website:

If you have questions about signatures on foreclosure documents, let me encourage you to submit your concerns and documentation to Kamila Harris' office.  We MUST let the AG know what is really going on here.

Mailing Address
Attorney General’s Office
California Department of Justice
Attn: Public Inquiry Unit
P.O. Box 944255
Sacramento, CA 94244-2550

Public Inquiry Unit
Voice: (916) 322-3360 or
(Toll-free in California)
(800) 952-5225
Fax: (916) 323-5341

California Relay Service:
(For Deaf and Hard-of-Hearing Callers)
TTY/TDD Dial 711 or
English: TTY/TDD (800) 735-2929
Spanish: TTY/TDD (800) 855-3000
Voice: (800) 735-2922

No comments:

Post a Comment